Monday 1 August 2011

Evidence of Things not Seen

Monday 25th July to Sunday 31st July 2011


14 Miles – for this week


Totals: 663 Miles, 591 Locks, 19 Tunnels, 18 Lift Bridges, 11 Swing Bridges

No cycling this week, football hasn’t started yet (well that’s only if you don’t count the SPL), the Olympics are a year away, so what is there to do for watching any sort of sport – well I didn’t count the European Darts Championship as truly a sport – only in the sense that the training revolves around drinking alcohol and eating – it’s a bit like saying the jockeys are sportspeople because they weigh next to nothing and can steer a horse – in my mind it’s the horse that actually does the running.

But I did poke my head into the realm of the aforementioned darts this week – now I know how to throw a dart or two, but not with any sort of accuracy, but I saw something that had the commentators in ecstasy about yesterday – what was the equivalent of a perfect 300 ten-pin bowling game (another “sport” based on alcohol and food) – the 9-dart leg – reaching 501 on a double with only 9 darts – you find something new everyday and now I can cross this one off my list of things I must see in my life – and I didn’t even know that I wanted to see it.

However, one of the things that I did want to see and I did (in fact) see it – or not see it – not quite sure.

The Ashby runs along side the Battle of Bosworth area, so I went for a bit of a stroll (long walk) to see it all.

The exhibition in the Battle Centre is very good and explains a lot of the history surrounding this period in England’s past, but with the re-examination of the area in the last 5 years, it was still unclear to me where exactly the actual battle took place – I know that they are in the process of moving the commemorative stone and signs and that this does take time – it just means I will have to go back again to see the battle site for sure.

The weekend had for a little while, been assigned as the time for re-varnishing the two sets of back doors and the frames of the wardrobes – it had taken a little while to actually be able to get what I wanted and it would take some time to apply the necessary number of coats of the varnish.

The varnish in question is a marine-grade waterborne polyurethane satin – very low odour and suitable for exterior as well as interior use.

Preparation and removing everything in the area took some time and then on Saturday it was into it – 4 coats in the day – 2 hours between each coat. Sunday came and time for the second round of varnishing – I consulted the data for a second time for recoating information – mmmm!! – one says the maximum recoat time is 6 hours and the other says ….. 6 days ??? - both sets of glasses said the same thing
Took the advice on the can and resanded before reapplying.

After all of that it was off for Sunday lunch at The Globe which was excellent by the way.

Where emphasis is placed on the result, without the public necessarily associating the people in the same way as you would an athlete or swimmer – what was SkySports showing – Formula 1 and Superbikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment