Sunday, 1 September 2013

Soar(in’) along

Wednesday 28th August to Friday 30th August 2013

The sun was again doing its best to thwart the chance to see how the new stove work eventually work – bright and sunny yet again – but we are not complaining.

Michael gave the go ahead to fill the diesel tank – we had just the 20 litres to go in but it was enough for now.

Each step of the pipe work was checked as the diesel worked its way down – until, what was that – a leaking tap – no amount of tightening would stop it – so a new tap – there it is fixed.

So with that down it was time to see about lighting the stove and getting some heat out of it.

Michael patiently explained all about the operation of the stove; how to check on the progress of fuel; lighting it; opening the system for full power (oops that should be heat).

It is hard to simulate the conditions on a cold day for this type of stove when the weather is so warm, but it lit and it worked – now all we need is some cold weather – but we can wait.

It ran for about 10 minutes before we turned it off – a little time taken to cool down so that we could change over chimneys – during which the final payment was completed – we are so pleased with the whole process with Paul and Michael – the initial appointment; the quote; the simplicity of the first part; making sure we knew all about it; being ready for us when we brought the boat in; having all of the parts available; fitting it all; providing a friendly atmosphere for it; knowing what they were doing; and the finished job – all very good indeed.

The final part of all of this was the price – for not much more than me trying to install a wood burner (and probably needing a lot of help anyway) this has all been done – and a lot cheaper than the first quote that we received.

We had seen Tone and Julie go through past us whilst all of this was going on – we would catch up.

After a good 2 hours, to finalise it all, we eased Ferndale back onto the canal proper and bid Paul and Michael goodbye – we will call in next year on our way through.

We were now on new waters for us and eagerly looking forward to the bit around the next corner and the bit after that.

Down through Derwent Mouth Lock which we shared with another narrowboat and a cruiser and then onto the river – so nice and wide and the engine revs mysteriously increased – I think it had a little to do with Diane’s lead hand.

There is a certain degree of freedom not having to worry so much about your speed and just to give the engine a chance to open up a bit – just until we reached Sawley and then we cut back – through the mechanised lock – why can’t they all be this easy – turn the key and press a few buttons and it is all done – where would the fun be then?

Sawley marina

the keepers of the wier - slowly recolouring the buoys

After just a further mile we reached the junction and here we met the Erewash, River Trent and Soar River all at one point – almost like a normal road junction – we turned right onto the Soar and continued in the free vein of things – we were literally soaring along.

which way do we go? - too many decisions

not that way this time - maybe nxt year

With just the one lock to negotiate – back to earth here; no key required just the windlass – and in time to moor up at Kegworth and have a final beer with Tone and Julie and Barbara.

Well it was easy for some - even with the windlass
No we couldn’t – the pub was closing at 3 and we were there at 2:50 and no more serving – aaarrrgggh!

So we said our goodbyes and waved them off as the headed back from whence they (and us) had come.

fare thee well - Julie and Tone - we shall see you again soon
The following morning we journeyed into Loughborough which was a lazy 5 miles down the waterway – part river/part canal – and moored before the junction on 14 day moorings – it was just a very short stroll into town.

wide open space....

...and a reminder that these are flood areas as well
Diane headed off for some supplies – not much required, but she managed to fill the trolley and the cupboards.

We had decided that we would have a rest day on Friday and not travel, instead we took the time to have a good wander around the town and find some of the more interesting buildings and learn a bit about the history of Loughborough.

The Carillion at Loughborough

with more mixing of religions there might be less problems in the world
The sun was out and not much of a breeze which made it thoroughly enjoyable.

Back to the boat and a bit more work before we settled down for the evening to watch the Super Cup – Diane always enjoys a good penalty shoot-out and wasn’t disappointed with the outcome.
as always Banjo just assumes his position on the back seat

11 Miles, 9 Locks

Totals: 2016 Miles, 1465 Locks, 63 Tunnels, 29 Lift Bridges, 141 Swing Bridges

No comments:

Post a Comment